Mental Health & Wellbeing

Local services for children & young people

The School – Please talk to us about your concerns, so that we can work together to help your child feel better. In the first instance talk to your child’s class teacher who will pass this information on to Senior Mental Health Lead.

Your GP – A GP can check any physical symptoms linked to your child’s health and talk with you about their emotional well-being making a referral to a specialist service if necessary.

The School Nurse – Parents/carers can contact the School for advice and support on a range of health issues. The SPA (Single Point of Access) number is

  • North Bristol School Nurse Team: Telephone 0300 124 5816
  • South Bristol School Nurse Team: Telephone 0300 125 6277
  • East & Central School Nurse Team: Telephone 0117 939 3760

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

A free NHS service that assesses and treats 0-18-year olds with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.

Websites that offer information and advice

The following organisations provide reliable information and advice to help parent/carers to support their child when experiencing emotional difficulties :-

Looking after your own mental health

In order to support your child, you need to stay strong and well yourself. It isn’t easy being a parent or carer especially when you are experiencing problems of your own such as relationship difficulties, money worries, problems with work. Often it helps to talk to someone, so don’t be scared about doing this, with friends, family, your GP or a support service. The following organisations can also offer information and advice to help you.

  • The Wellbeing College – Directory and database of groups, activities and courses in the B&NES community that can support. adult wellbeing.
  • Talking Therapies – Accessed through G.P or self-referral for those aged 16 and above living in Bath &North East Somerset
  • Mind Bristol – An independent charity supporting people in Bristol who are experiencing mental health problems or emotional distress
  • Samaritans – Telephone for free confidential listening service 116 123
  • NHS Choices: moodzone – Helps manage stress, anxiety, depression.
  • CALM Campaign against living miserably – Information and help around mental health particularly focussing on men

Agencies and services to support parents and carers in vulnerable situations

Citizens Advice

Independent charity that provides free, impartial advice and information on a range of issues including housing, employment and debt.